Friday, 19 February 2010

A Year in Review

It is approaching tax time and I have been living on the West Coast for nearly a year. Not that there are any requests for it, but here are a few reflections on the past year:

Moves- III
Classes taken- X
Readings- more than I've ever had before in my life. And most of it, quite involving.
Friends- very few depressingly. Don't move thousands of miles away to take distance classes; it just makes you resent all of the young and attractive people who are prancing around having much fun. But I'm not bitter. I am certainly becoming bitter though.
Temporary work assignments- II, though one of them is ongoing. Painful but ongoing. Due to the length of time that I couldn't find work this summer, I managed to tack on a significant amount of student debt to my existing loan. But what would I be doing for the next 12 years if not paying back my student loan? See, this experience has given me a long-term goal.
Amount of chocolate consumed in order to compensate for the many moments of desperate solitude- I was seriously not wanting to keep track, though I really need to cut back.

It's not all been that bad. I've learnt so much about the cultural sector and how difficult it will be to get a job in it. The current political climate is nearly anti-art, sadly. See, if it were anti-art in a dadaist fashion, that would be amusing! An eastward move, I am told, would be a wise choice after my 'directed studies' is completed this summer. Speaking of which, I should probably get back to writing the proposal for it.

Can I demand a graduate student desk? I will try.
At least the library won't be so crowded this summer. Oh the rows and rows of books! Quiet contemplation time and space...

Why don't most people find intelligent thought and knowledge desirable and agreeable?

I should be productive now...

No comments: